Monday, April 5, 2010

Scenes of Macau


I have so much to share and at the same time I don't know what to say. I will let the photos guide me.

My first taste of Macau in the daytime had to have been Senado square. I needed to purchase a cell phone so the concierge told me where to go and handed me a handy map, which happens to be tearing in several places. I found Senado and brought a phone at a whooping 260MOP, which is $32.50. Oh, it gets much better. This area is a tourist trap so I have learned to avoid Senado, unless I am absolutely desperate or go in the early morning to beat the crowd.

There scenes in Macau that have beautiful Chinese and Portugese influences, but there are some not-so-good visuals which prove that not everyone is well-off. Tonight I passed this tiny store which is among hundreds of stores similar to this one selling the same things, and I saw this woman doing dishes behind a curtain. It can only mean the store also where this family lives. The strange thing about this place is I don't really see any homeless people, only older women who hang out in highly populated tourists areas asking for change. I guess the gambling provides just enough for the people.

It has been foggy here lately but not raining as much as the weather forecast says it should. The fogginess seems so intriguing because though you cannot see beyond it, you still wonder what's there. I have not been here very long, yet I am able to find my way easily. Though I have to admit the map I carry around does come in handy, but I don't look at it all the time.

The other three photos are of the remains of St. Paul's, the mystic Macau Tower, and one of the three bridges to Taipa.

No comments:

Post a Comment