Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Crossing over


Lately I have been trying to practice on my language skills both oral and handwritten. I can write my address, but not from memory. Also I have no clue what people are saying when I eaves-drop on their conversations. Most of the time I am paranoid and think they are talking about me, they probably are when they stare. I feel progress will take some time.

I am already fustrated about not knowing what people are saying. I understand numbers so when I go to the market I can understand what things cost without the dreaded calculator. Although people are making it easier to understand, it still cripples any opportunity for language learning. When people say "thank you" to me, I throw their language right back and say "mm goi" instead, which is "thank you" in Cantonese.

When I hear english, it's like music to my ears. The familiarity of my own language seems so far from reach. Most days I am by myself and I am not around english speakers. I am always looking for "westerners." This term should only be take lightly considering that the term means not Asian. Yes, the rest of the world has been put into the huge clump. The irony is that we do the same thing at home. Asians are mushed together without identity or explaination, it's just easier. So the westerners are Europeans, Candians, South Americans, Austrailians, but not Africans because they don't come here. Being dark-skinned is a rarity people here are not used to. That is why on any given day, I will be photographed, constantly stared at, or just a walking enigma people have no idea what to do with. The fact is there are so many tourists flowing in and out, they will never get used to me. At least the old man on my street says hi to me. I count that as a victory.

I leave you with my friend the snail. We have a lot more in common than I used to believe. You can figure that one out yourself.


No comments:

Post a Comment