Monday, April 12, 2010

Food

I have to admit I miss American food. Though it may be very eclectic, it's just so easy and convenient. I am still learning what to order, how order, what tastes good, and what places have an english menu. Though food is cheap, quality always comes with a price and that price is not necessarily monetary. I have had two great meals. One was at this Thai restaurant and the other was at the Buddhist Temple. The funny thing is I went to the Thai place because the temple was closed that day.

Honestly the Chinese food is not much different from what you find in Boston. The eating rituals are interesting. For example, napkins are never present, unless requested. I was given napkins because they knew I needed them. My parents would flip because my dad constantly asks for extra napkins, like there are never enough. China may have to get a extra shipment when they arrive. Also the Chinese in Macao love red beans and toothpicks. Napkins are rare, but you always find these two items. If you do plan on coming, you should know that chopsticks are commonly used to eat. The good news is they make the food big enough to pick up.

The fruit here is amazing. I cannot get enough of it. It's best when you go to the open market and see the entire spread. Most places post the prices and you don't even need to understand because the get out their calculator to tell you the price. I haggle mainly because I don't want to feel cheated. Now thinking about it, I really don't pay much for anything. It's like paying less for already cheap food. I should pay extra for the injustice, but I don't.



Photos: Hotel room dinner of fruit, dried fruit, bread and avocado; great Thai food; I was craving fries, don't judge me.

1 comment: