Friday, April 1, 2011

A Year in Review

Right now I am sitting at one of my favorite spots in Macau. There are five round benches in a row. One night I danced around on bench while it rained. I felt so free. I have now been in Macau more than 1 year, it seems like so much has happened.

I have seen more this one year than I have seen in the past ten. My experiences are priceless. I discovered Hong Kong with new friends. I dared friends to try snake blood in Taipei. I discovered interesting customs in mainland China. I went diving for the first time in Borneo. I had a 3-day marathon half awake and half sleep in Singapore, only to return wanting more. I rode an untamed elephant, risking death in Phuket. And that's the shortened version.


Something I have realized is the idea of entitlement. I came here with expectations ingrained in me from my youth; yet when I fully experienced life here, all of that was thrown out the window. People are all different. They all have values and beliefs that are not always shared with mine. My eyes have been opened to the fact that I cannot assume everyone has the same mindset as me. It's narrow-minded to have such a minute view of people. I have been awakened to truth. Once you have tasted the splendor of God's creation, you keep wanting more. I can't say what is next, but all I know is I want more.

No comments:

Post a Comment